Bel Canto Company will be holding auditions for our 2017-2018 Concert Season on
Saturday, May 20, 2:00-4:30
Sunday, May 21, 3:00-5:30
Monday, May 22, 6:30-9:00
Tuesday, May 23, 6:30-9:00
Those interested in auditioning should submit a cover letter and resume by May 16 using the form at the end of this page .
What to Expect
All singers, returning and newly interested singers, will
- Prepare and perform you part from the following:
- mm. 69-101 of J.S. Bach’s Kantata 191: Gloria in excelsis Deo (Glory to God in the Highest – BWV 191)
- mm. 89-137 of J.S. Bach’s “Jauchzet, frohlocket” (“Celebrate, rejoice” – BWV 248-1) from Weihnachts-Oratorium (Christmas Oratorio)
- Post Orationem from Cantata 191 – Soprano/Tenor duet, audition excerpt mm. 17-34, page 19 – This part of the audition is for sopranos and tenors who specifically want to sing this duet during the concert. This is not intended for all sopranos and tenors to sing as a part of the general audition. This movement is very demanding – Dr. Young asks that singers be fully prepared to sing it beautifully (it is already worked into the voice) in audition. Please arrive ready to make artistic decisions and not still learning notes.
- Perform a brief sight-reading exercise. Dr. Young may also ask you to sing several vocalises to get a sense of your vocal range and timbre.
- At the end of each audition period, all those auditioning will be asked to come together to sing as a group for about 30 minutes. Dr. Young may have you sing all together, or in smaller groups during this time. The process will mirror, in miniature, a Bel Canto rehearsal and will allow us to assess how your uniquely beautiful instrument might fit with the ensemble and work in the repertoire planned for our upcoming season.
We will begin scheduling specific audition times approximately two weeks before the first auditions. At that time we will notify all who are accepted for an audition at what time and day we would like to hear you. Please indicate in your cover letter if you have any time or date conflicts.
We look forward to hearing you!
What to Know Before You Go
Bel Canto rehearses on Monday nights from 7-9pm for approximately six weeks prior to each concert. We also hold a dress rehearsal the night before the first performance of each concert. If you are unable to attend these rehearsals, you must let us know in advance. All singers are expected to attend every rehearsal.
2017-2018 Concert Dates:
Spirit of Change
Saturday, Oct. 7, 8pm
Sunday, Oct. 8, 4pm
Monday, Oct. 9, 7:30pm
Don We Now…
Saturday, Dec. 9, 8pm
Monday, Dec. 11, 7:30pm
Saturday, Dec. 16, 3pm
There is Sweet Music Here
Saturday, Apr. 14, 8pm
Monday, Apr. 16, 7:30pm